January 10, 2008

Under Pressure

Yesterday morning I was on the phone with my friend Amy, who is a speech pathologist. She commented that she was anticipating squirrelly kids at school because of the changes in the barometric pressure.

Excuse me, what' s that now? I asked if she was joking.

"It's absolutely true", she informs me. Apparently, barometric pressure changes can affect the behavior of children, and usually for the ornery. This I did not know. "Well, that's interesting and totally something Amy would know," I think to myself as we move on to another conversation.

Later in the day I'm talking with my friend Marci. As she hears Charlotte jabbering ferociously in the background she asks, "So, how have your kids been today? Everyone I've spoken with today says their kids are making them a little crazy." "You know", I say, "I'm in touch with that. Caroline seems to have only one volume today, and it's ear-piercing."

"Oh, it's the pressure changing," she says knowingly. I stop her right there, feeling like the world has been keeping a giant secret from me. I ask if this pressure theory is for real. She assures me it's true. Her mom, a teacher, swears there is a connection. Plus, she has three kids herself, so this isn't her first rodeo.

But, how is it that I have lived with children in my house for over three years and never managed to learn about this? Not that this knowledge would have made any real difference, but still, I like to be informed.

Really, it all makes a lot of sense. Now, I'm just wondering if I can explain my own occasional bad temper with it. What do you think?

"Sorry, everyone. I really want to be delightful today. I'm not trying to be crabby. It's just all this darn barometric pressure."

5 comments:

happygeek said...

The pressure isn't the only thing that makes them squirrely. I know it sounds like hogwash but ask any teacher or geriatric nurse and they will tell you that things go loopey around a full moon as well. This is also pressure related I believe.
I was a techer for 6 years and could tell you every full moon without looking it up!

Anonymous said...

OH Nicole...
The full moon thing is absolutely true! I try to avoid scheduling myself to work on "full moon" nights!

Nicole - Life in Progress said...

I'm going to file this under "things I never knew I'd learn by starting a blog". Fascinating.

Missy said...

Watch out for full moons too. I tried to get a widget to tell me when the moon would be full so I could know to go easy on my kids, but couldn't find one!

Michelle said...

I have heard (and often used) the full moon to explain these episodes, but I have been a mother for 14 years and I never heard that either. Living in a hurricane sector (frequent low and high barometer switches), you would think I would have. Good, now I have another excuse for why they are fighting! Thanks!