July 24, 2008

Our Firstborn

I am a firstborn. I am stong-willed.

Jason is a firstborn. He is stong-willed.

Caroline is our firstborn. So the poor girl never really stood a chance.

To say she is strong-willed and opinionated is like saying I only somewhat enjoy Diet Coke. It's a gross understatement.

Combine all that with her sharp little mind, and she can be a force. She has, at all times, a precise picture in her mind of how things ought to go. And when we have to break the news that things won't be going her way, she doesn't always take that news so well. Over the past few weeks, Caroline has upped the ante by realizing just how powerful her words can be. Phrases like, "It's not fair" and "I don't like you" have entered her vocabulary.

And while it's nothing too serious, it's also not acceptable. We're doing our best to nip it in the bud.

A couple weeks ago, we were in the grocery store, just the two of us. And I felt like I was shopping with a drunk monkey. She was not listening, kept grabbing things when she positively knew better, and just generally giving me a hard time.

When we got in the car I was so frustrated that I started to cry, and I'm not really a crier. I felt like a total failure, like I was not getting anything right when it came to raising this girl. Like I just hadn't found the key to effectively disciplining her.

And when Caroline saw that I was crying, she got really upset, almost panicked. This was our conversation:

"Mom, Mom, keep your tears."

"I'm just feeling a little sad, sweetheart."

"Well, just tell God you are sad."

"That's a very good idea."

"Will it help if I say I love you?"

"Yes."

"I do love you."

Then she folded her hands and bowed her head and prayed, "God, my Mommy feels sad." She popped her head up and said, "God said He will make you feel better."

And He did.

I still don't have all the answers to raising a girl who is so much like me. It's a daunting task. But it seems that somewhere along the way Caroline has learned empathy and that you can turn to God when things go wrong.

And that is a pretty good place to start.

6 comments:

happygeek said...

That's the very best place to start.

The Gang's Momma! said...

soo cute - melted your heart, I'll bet :)

And yes, if that's what she knows already, you are off to a wonderful start. for both of you!

Jackie said...

You know, she's going to take that awesomely strong personality and do some amazing things for God one day. :) You're doing a great job with her...it is indeed a very good place to start.

life with the wisners said...

let me reiterate.

seriously, dude. you're such a wonderful mom. you know that, right? if that is your daughter's response to your sadness?

hats off to you, mom. you are creating such special moments.

Knick Knack Paddy Whack, Throw This Mom a Bone said...

Bless you for noticing her brilliance. You are a wonderful mom... and she is a wonderful little girl.

BTW - My oldest two have also started saying things like that...and it is so hard to deal with. Maybe there is something in the water out here lately?

donna said...

i don't know why you are lumping the first-borns into all being strong-willed,because we all know that i am certainly not strong-willed(cough,sputter,ahem!) well, then, you should know that i marvel at your parenting skills and i pray that caroline continues to have that same viewpoint as she matures into a beautiful young teenager:)