A week ago today, Jason and I came home from a long weekend to Cape Cod and Boston. We went with Justin (my brother) and his wife Kacy. It's becoming something of a tradition for us, this grown-ups-only get-a-way each fall, and I must say....I'm a fan.
I'm also a big fan of my parents since they kept our kids and J and K's dog, Cooper. Since I know precisely how much work three kids and their hectic school schedule can be, I'm so grateful that they were not only willing, but insistent for us to go. Go-Go even put together a care package with magazines, snacks and notebooks to record all our adventures. How's that for supportive?!?
 |
| We flew into Boston and headed straight for the Cape.....this was in Plymouth, where we stopped for lunch. |
 |
| In Plymouth, we also saw this replica of the Mayflower......Caroline was NOT pleased when we found out she had missed this! |
 |
| This is the kitchen of the house we rented in Chatham on Cape Cod. I really wanted to bring it home with me. |
 |
| at Chatham Beach |
 |
| Chatham Light.....Jason and I visited Cape Cod ten years ago, and this lighthouse is one of my most distinct memories of the Cape. |
 |
| Our second day......waiting for our whale watching boat to leave from Provincetown. In P'town we accidentally discovered Portugese fried dough at the Provincetown Portugese Bakery. Afterward I read this review: "Dude, REALLY! If you are in P Town, this is a MUST!" To this I say, "Dude, he's right!" |
 |
| Leaving the harbor of Provincetown. This is the spindly tip of old Cape Cod. |
 |
| We saw 2 Humpbacks and a Finnback whale on our tour, and they were incredible. They got very close to the boat, and we got to watch them surface lots and lots of times. I was irritated with myself for not bringing my big camera with the long lens, but if I had had it I probably would have watched the whales only through my camera. This way, I realized the pictures I was getting would never do the whales justice so I finally put the camera away and just stood amazed. (Again, Caroline was not best pleased to be missing out!) |
 |
| Cape Cod National Seashore.....from the top of this dune we spotted Harbor Seals in the surf so Jason and I ran down the hill to check them out. |
 |
| J & K waving at us........we convinced them to climb down to meet us, which was great until we had to walk back up that hill. Enterprise is probably still trying to vacuum all the sand out of our rental car! |
 |
| Next up: Boston. This was the kitchen in the Brownstone condo we rented in the South End. I really wanted to bring this one home with me too! |
 |
| Drinks somewhere in the Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market area........By this time in the evening, we had walked the Freedom Trail (Boston Common, the Public Garden, Granary Burial Ground, the Paul Revere House, Old North Church, the list goes on and on). We also explored the North End, with a stop at Mike's Pastry, where I learned that I do indeed enjoy canoli. If you ask Justin he would tell you we "wandered aimlessly", which is my favorite way to see a city. He's a little more goal-oriented, but he was a very good sport! |
 |
| Heading out for Boston: Day 2. |
 |
| In front of our condo.......from here we went to the SOWA market, had brunch, did a DUCK tour and took the train to Harvard for more "aimless wandering". |
 |
| Jason......being, well.......Jason. |
 |
| Dinner on our last night at Atlantic Fish Co. |
 |
| To cap off our evening, we saw this monster roll by on a cart. |
 |
| Of course, the boys needed to hold it. Our waiter told us it weighed in at around 14 pounds, which would make it 40-50 years old. |
The next day, we headed home to our people. To be honest, I'm not sure they missed us much, but we sure were glad to see them! In Atlanta, Jason gave up his seat and flew home on the next flight, earning us 2 free round-trip tickets. What a perfect excuse to plan another trip!
4 comments:
What a FABULOUS recap and thanks for sharing!!!! AND OF COURSE your little people missed you! AND as for PaPa and GoGo we will gladly assist in a grown-up-get-away anytime because you ALL are our favorite!!!
Much Love to You!!
PaPa and GoGo
Love the recap and love our little tradition :) We'll share our pics soon!
J&K
Yes, Kacy I need your pics! I only had a couple of you guys....those are all on your camera :)
Sounds like a great time! Loved all the pics!
Post a Comment