December 1, 2013

20 - The Force

A few nights ago we watched the original Star Wars as a family.  It's a movie that will just always hold up in my opinion.  It is so nostalgic to me, and I love to watch it and realize how little of it I actually understood when I was young.

I loved the movie as much as I always have.  But even more, I loved the reactions of each of the kids to it.

Caroline actually understood all the ins and outs of the plot.  She thought ahead, predicted some plot twists and asked a lot of good questions.  The second the movie ended she begged to start The Empire Strikes Back

Charlotte had to be asked several times to stop talking so the rest of us could hear what was going on.  She was an invaluable source of ongoing commentary, and she especially had a lot to say about Princess Leia's wardrobe and hair choices. 

Henry was particularly fascinated with the droids, spacecraft and weapons involved.  Needless to say, the character development was rather lost on him.  He spent most of the movie building TIE fighters and X-Wings out of LEGOs and practicing his light saber sound effects.

I'm thankful for the diverse and remarkable personalities of these kids of ours.  I'm thankful for the stage and age of each of them right this very second. 

I'm also thankful that Henry didn't knock anyone out before we informed him that a miniature baseball bat is not an appropriate substitute for a light saber.  It was a rather close call.

No comments: